On the first post I covered construction of the lower cabinet. The second post discussed building a base. On the final post I will need to attach the lower cabinet to the base, install a dust port, and paint everything.

Step 21. Grab your combination square and get the lower cabinet centered on the base. Use a pencil to mark the centered position.

Step 22. I used 1.5″ square pine to anchor the lower cabinet to the base. Four pieces were cut to frame the inside of the cabinet base. These pieces were pre-drilled, glue was applied to the bottom and they were attached with 2.5″ washer head screws.

Step 23. I removed the cabinet, and pre-drilled 3 holes on each side. Glue was applied to the plywood where the lower cabinet sits and also on the outside of the previously built frame (step 22). The lower cabinet was slid back over the frame and attached with 1.5″ washer head screws. The combination of long screws and multiple surfaces glued will create a strong connection. Note: When using melamine, make sure to sand through the melamine so the glue is contacting the particle board or it won’t adhere.

Step 24. I purchased a harbor freight universal mobile base. I won’t bore you with the details here, but it appears to be a good base. I am not a big fan of reading directions, but I suggest reading through them a few times to alleviate some future swearing. Once you have this constructed, place the base and lower cabinet on the mobile base. It is starting to look nearly completed at this point!

Step 25. Glue an extra layer of particle board to frame the inside top edge. Once these are dried, either carriage bolts or hangar bolts need to be place so that the saw can be attached to the new base.

Step 26. I decided to build a ramp inside the cabinet to concentrate the dust into a lower corner. This probably isn’t necessary, but will help to minimize the amount of residual saw dust in the cabinet. A simple frame with pine forms the base of the ramp and is covered with 1/8″ plywood.

Step 27. Cut a whole 4″ diameter in the side of the cabinet at the base of the ramp previously built.

Step 28. Remove the lower cabinet and base from the mobile base. Apply several coats of spray paint and allow to dry. I have a bunch of cans of an industrial green that happens to match my grizzly dust collector so that is the color I used.

Step 29. Attach dust port and don’t forget to apply a layer of caulking underneath to stop air leaks. I used a 4″ port.

Step 30: You will need to take your saw off of its current base to mark the attachment holes. I started by taking off the motor and rip fence to drop the weight a bit. Then I removed the nuts and bolts. I recruited my wife to help me lift the saw and set it on the new base. Be careful to get everything lined up correctly. I used a pencil to mark all of the bolt holes. Holes were then drilled into the melamine to accommodate 5/16″ hanger bolts. 8 in total were used. Once the hanger bolts were inserted into the melamine base, a bead of caulk was placed on the top edge of the melamine and the saw was set into place. A nut, washer, and lock washer was placed on all 8 bolts.

Step 31: Spray foam was used to seal up the front, sides and back of the table where the top meets the metal cabinet.

Step 32: Almost done. The back opening needs to be sealed off. I didn’t go too crazy making sure everything was perfect because the saw needs to have some air flow. 1/4″ hard board was used along with 3/4″ magnets. I copied a picture I saw online of this part. Take lots of measurements and don’t forget that the belt changes position vertically with blade height changes.

Finally finished. I’m very pleased with how it turned out. It is very stable and passes the nickel test after installing a link belt. The total for the saw plus the base was $325. I happened to have all of the material for the base on hand from previous project scraps. Be patient and willing to do some work and you can have very nice tools for not a lot of money.

What I learned.

  1. Having a lot of scrap material on hand isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve used up a lot of them for several projects lately.
  2. This general design can be used for a lot of different tools.
  3. I can’t imagine needing much more saw than this in the near future. It cuts straight, square, is stable, is repeatable, and has been maintaining accuracy so far.
  4. It has significantly reduced the dust in my garage already. A little dust still comes off of the blade, but I estimate that 90-95% of the dust is getting caught by the dust collection.