On the previous post I built the vertical cabinet portion. The next portion will address the base. I have some scrap pine and 1/2 plywood scrap so this will be the materials I will use.

Step 10. Joint 2 edges of some SPF 2x4s. Run through planer to even thickness.

Step 11. I wanted my base to be square and stable. I decided to have the base be 28″x28″x3″. The jointed 2x4s were ripped to 3″.

Step 12. A rabbet was cut on each corner since I planned to use a double rebate joint on the corners of the base.

Step 14. I wanted the plywood top to be level with the sides so a rabbet was cut 1/2 deep to accommodate this.

Step 15. The widest portion of the lower cabinet is 19.75″. I figured that 4 vertically oriented 2x4s under the lower cabinet would be adequate support.

Step 16. I used the previous 2x4s I jointed and planed, but they needed to be ripped to 2.5″. They should be the height of the sides minus the depth of the rabbet cut for the plywood.

Step 17. The 4 sides of the base were glued and clamped. Check for square.

Step 18. The next morning I glued the four supports and clamped.

Step 19. Reinforce each support with a 1/2″ oak dowel x2. I drilled 2.5″ deep. This should help to offset some of the shearing forces these pieces will have on them once the saw his mounted. The plywood sheath across the top will also distribute the forces of the saw. I pre-cut the dowels and inserted them with a bit of wood glue.

Step 20. Cut a piece of plywood to fit the top. I attached it with glue and clamps.

Things I learned

  1. I really love my new saw. This project is cruising along and everything is fitting together perfectly.
  2. Having redundancy and reinforcing some joints with dowels will limit nearly eliminate any possibility of failure in the future. Gluing the whole base together with a plywood layer on top locks everything together and helps to distribute the load across the whole frame as well.
  3. I am going through my gallon jug of wood glue faster than I anticipated!
  4. A few times during this project I had 30 clamps in  use at once. You can never have too many clamps.